Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Adding insult to injury

As I try to settle in to this two-horse town, strongly feeling, knowing??, that it was a wrong decision, an interesting job offer just appeared back in my old city.

Not just any job offer. It's the one I interviewed for in the winter -- the one that I didn't get strictly due to timing, they said. They needed me to start immediately, but I needed a couple months to finish what I was doing. Now, that position is open again.

It's the pretty job, one that makes me very excited, but that is NOT in academia. It's the very same job that, combined with the one I moved here for, caused me to start this blog. The whole debate that was wearing on me - academia or corporate... it's the corporate job. I would love to have done that job for a few years, then maybe (maybe) apply for an academic one down the road.

Part of me wants to apply for this job now.  Did they call me and find my number disconnected? Did they mean it when they said they'd keep me on file? Did they mean it when they said it was just a timing thing, or were they talking out of their be-hinds? Would they hire me? Would they pay for my move back home?? How much would it cost me to bail on this job at the last minute?

But I'm already here. I have to give it a shot. Right? (Wrong?)

Ugh. Just ugh.


No comments: